Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Promise To Keep 1


Daphne as a best friend is a heaven’s gift to Jaze. He is such a lucky guy to have her in his life. For him, Daphne is an angel sent by God from above to always make him smile and make his day complete. The friendship they have is so beautiful and one of a kind that many become envy to the two of them. It is something that can be treasured and very much rare to find. And, despite many challenges that tested their friendship, it remains strong and getting stronger as years went by.
 
They’ve been best friend for six years. And Jaze can’t out do with the idea of not falling for his best friend. What he can say about Daphne…all he knows is that he love everything about her–the way she laughs every time he commit a mistake, the way she fusses over silly things and the way she cries over stupid reasons.
 
He could still perfectly remember the first time they’ve met. They were in high school by that time. Daphne was in her first year and a new student from another province.
 
He saw her one day setting alone in one of the benches. He approached her with a sweet smile in his face. It was kind of strange that for the first time he saw her, he feels that he likes her.
 
“Hello…You’re alone? Can I join you?” he asked in a very coy voice.
“Hi…Yeah, sure…”
“Waiting for someone?”
“I’m waiting for my cousin….Hmmm…If I’m not mistaken, you’re Jaze Ian from sophomore IIA…”
“Huh!!! Yeah…How did you know my name?”
“Who would not…You are one of the most talked about personality here in the campus…”
“Really, I don’t have any idea about that one…”
“Ha…ha… Humble!!! But Kidding aside, it was my cousin who told me who you are…The two of you are classmates and she always talked about you in the house…I think she got a crush on you…”
“Whew!!! Unbelievable…ha…ha…By the way, may I know your name?”
“I’m Daphne…Freshman IA…”
 
From that very moment the two of them become good friends and then later on, become best friends. Jaze likes Daphne’s company. The two of them are exactly opposite when it comes to character, but their personalities always collide. Daphne is pretty and smart. He learned lots of things from her frankness and from the way she view life. it seems that everything she do always pleases him.
 
And as years went by, he feels that the likeness he had for her grew into a much deeper emotions. At first, he thinks it is just a simple crush. But he started thinking of her every night, dreaming of her and having the feeling of wanting to be with her all the time. Whenever their hands touched, he could feel the tingling sensation running all over his body. And, every time he kissed her in the cheek, he loved the way she blushed and he would wish he could kiss those lips curving the sweetest smile he’d ever seen in his whole life. How he hope that every moment he spent with her would never end because he now realized that he is falling in love with her.
 
Daphne is a picture of the woman he wanted to share every moment of his life. He also believes that Daphne is the perfect girl for him. But he is too afraid to reveal his feelings. He is scared of the possibility that he might lose her if he does so. Somehow, he wishes he could tell her that he loves her. But, for now, he will rather choose to keep it as a secret that take a risk and lose her. He knew that Daphne would be angry to him if she fined out that he is keeping secret from her. He knows that they’ve made a promise not to keep and secret from each other. And, now, he is doing it. He is betraying his best friend.
 
They’ve shared many memories and he can’t imagine that all those memories will just go to waste because he told her about what he feels. He could still perfectly recall how he taught her how to play basketball and how he lose over her when they had a simple match. There was even a time when she fell off the bike trying to catch up with him in a race they had. And, he is the one who put bandage on her scraped knees and elbow while she keep on blaming him. He also remember how Daphne cried while placing the ice bag over his damaged eye and bruised cheeks due to fighting those bullies who teased her. Few of the many memories they’ve shared together that he can’t content of just putting to waste.
 
Day by day his feeling is getting much stronger and it is getting out of control. He is afraid of it. He tries to deny it for he is scared to imagine of what would happen if he will tell her about it. He is very much scared to lose her. So, he keeps it hidden.
 
Yes, he had few relationships in the past but all are unsuccessful. All ended up into break ups. He can’t stop himself from comparing each girlfriend he has to Daphne. He knew well that he is becoming unfair to them. But he can’t help it. He is not happy with each relationship. He felt something is missing. He is looking for something that he can only find in Daphne’s character.
 
Until one day, he learned that Daphne has already a boyfriend. At first, he tried to be happy for her but deep inside, he is hurting. He could feel his heart slowly breaking into pieces every time he sees them in a very sweet situation. He felt how his heart ache to see them so happy and every time Harvey gives Daphne flowers, chocolates, compliments and stuffed toys. There was even a time he watched them from a distance wishing he is the one doing those things to her. Mixed feelings of anger, sadness and pain is what he feel because he think that Daphne only sees him as a friend and never as a lover.
 
But Daphne is having same feelings for Jaze. She knew that her best friend is in love with her. She is not “numb” not to notice those special treatments Jaze shown to her only intended for a lover. Actually, she is just waiting for him to propose. She’s also in love with him. A feeling she kept all these years because she is also afraid of losing their friendship, especially Jaze in her life. Aside from that, she is not yet sure of her feelings and at the same time; she is not yet ready to have a more serious relationship with her best friend.
 
She loved Jaze not only in a friendly way but as someone she felt like spending every moment of her life. She had always loved him right from the start as old as the start of their friendship. She sleeps at night with him as her last thought and wake up each morning thinking him first. And every time she’d learned that Jaze has again a new girlfriend, she secretly cry because whether she will admit it or not, she is hurting. She has a feeling of only having him all by for herself.
 
And the truth about Harvey, her boyfriend, is that she only used him to make Jaze jealous and trigger him to do his move but to no avail. Jaze remain coward and her becoming more desperately frustrated. She desperately wanted to hear him say all those words she always longed to hear, but he never did.
 
Jaze and Daphne both wanted each other. Both hearts aches. The feelings they have for each other are mutual. But both are also scared to let go of what they truly feels. Both are afraid. Both are turned between friendship and love.
 
One day, Jaze is having his afternoon practice of basketball in the gymnasium. Harvey came so angry and suddenly gives him a hard punch causing him to lose his balance.
 
“Damn you, bastard!!!” Harvey angrily uttered.
            “Stop it, Harvey! It is not his fault…If you’re angry then just be angry with me! I am the one who much deserve your anger…” Daphne’s statement that make Jaze even confuse of what is happening.
            “Wait…” he said, “Can anyone explain everything to me why I deserve to be punch by this man…”
            “You shut up!”
            “Harvey, please… I beg you…” Daphne interrupted and tried to stop Harvey from giving again Jaze a punch.
            “Listen, please…” she continue, “I admit I used you, Harvey just to have him…And I am so sorry with that…I thought I’m making the right move. But I am wrong all along…i know I’ve hurt your ego and I also know that you will never forgive me for now… But still the same, I still want to say sorry for what I did… I just hope that someday you’ll going to forgive me…”
            “Is that your way of ending up our relationship???” Harvey asked in a soft but so tense voice.
 
Daphne never says a word to confirm it. Her silence is already enough for Harvey to leave the gymnasium feeling defeated and dumb.
 
Jaze look at his best friend who is in tears at the moment. He doesn’t know what is happening and he really need an explanation. He doesn’t know what to feel and he can’t even ask anything from Daphne who is sobbing in front of him. All he can do is gave her a tight hug for consolation.
 
“Bring me home, Jaze…” Daphne asked him, “I’m going to explain everything to you in some other time but not now…I know I owe it to you…”
 
Jaze don’t need to say a word. He understands her and he can wait…It cans way. He perfectly knows her. What she always said must be followed if you don’t want to see her in her worst situation when she got angry, especially in this state. There is time for everything, anyway.
 
Three days later when Daphne tried to explain everything to Jaze. At first, she really have the hard time because she might spill her biggest secret of which she is not yet ready. “Come what way,” she said to herself.
 
“So that is the reason…” Jaze commented upon hearing Daphne’s explanation. “But I’m still wondering why he gave me that punch…” He looks at Daphne expecting to hear the explanation he is suspecting and assuming just last few days ago. Yet, he felt disappointed when Daphne speaks up.
            “It is because he thinks that the guy I’m talking to him is you who is not true and will never be true…”
            “Ohhh…I just thought… Can I know who this guy is?”
 
Daphne looks away for she can’t look straight at Jaze’s eyes. She’s afraid that he might catch her lying.
 
As of Jaze, he just looks at his best friend. He knows that she is keeping something from. And, he think he got an idea of what is it. But he will never force to say the truth. For now, he is already contented to have her back and free… also happy because he again got a chance to tell her everything about his feelings. And he promised this time that he will really do it no matter what.
 
They found themselves doing what they did in the old days and enjoying again doing those activities they always did, especially those childish pranks. They keep their selves busy forgetting what the things they most have done.
 
So many chances Jaze had to confess his feelings and same thing with Daphne. But, they both could not bring themselves to each other’s foot for both are still scared of losing each other. So they still kept the feelings they have as a secret even if it was bursting to be express from their aching heart. They don’t want to spoil each happy moment they had for each other.
 
For now, both are already satisfied to see each other happy in each other’s company. Both think that they don’t have to say anything. They feel that they both have the connection…that they both own each other’s heart even without saying anything. Confirmation is not anymore needed. What is important is that both agreed to the silent understanding that their hearts set for the two of them.
 
Yet fate intervenes. There is a need for Jaze to follow his parents in London. His parents already decided for him to finish his college there.
 
“So, you’re really leaving…” Daphne said in a very lonely voice.
            “Yeah…Mama wants me to have my architecture degree there…I can’t say no to her, especially that we haven’t seen each other for almost a decade…I miss them also…”
            “I understand…But I can’t help myself of not feeling sad…I’m going to miss you…”
            “Me too…”
 
Silence amidst between them. No one dared to speak up.
 
“Daph, can you promise to wait for me…I promise to be back as soon as I finish school…Four years is not that long…”
            “I will not promise anything to you, Jaze, because promises are made to be broken. Just do what you think is best and right. Just do those you think that is needed to be done…I’m Just here, standing by until the time you come back…”
            “Ohhhh…Daph….Don’t cry…It makes things for me to become harder…I’ll be back…It’s a promise I don’t intend to break…And I assure you that…I don’t want to hurt you because you’re not only my best friend but also someone so special to me and someone I loved much…”
            “I know, Jaze…You don’t have to say all those words…I can feel it all…And, I an also feeling the same…”
 
The day of Jaze flight came. If he can only decide for himself, he would rather choose to stay than leave. He can’t afford to be that far to Daphne. But, at the same time, he can’t also afford to put down his mother’s appeal.
 
“Bye for now, Daph…It is not forever…I’ll see you as soon  as I got my diploma…Wait for me…And, don’t forget to keep in touch…”
 
Daphne could only give him an affirmative nod.
 
“Read this after I’d left…It contents everything I wanted to tell you…” Jaze said as he handed her an envelop. He gave her a very tight hug and a long kiss in the lips.
            “I love you, Daph and will always will…You are the only girl for me…” he softly whispers before entering the departure area.
 
Daphne watched the plane as it left the runway until it completely vanished in the horizon.
 
“I also and always loved you, Jaze…Just do what you said because I’ll hold on to that…It is a promise you should keep…” She whispered in the after reading the letter.
 
She left the airport with a smile on her face and with the hope that Jaze would fulfill everything he said to her.
 
What the letter content made her so happy and gave her an assurance that the future awaits to the two of them to settle what is need to be settled and put and end to the unfinished business they have for them to become definitely happy.

No comments: